Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Replacing kitchen floor

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
Our 35 year old kitchen floor (sheet vinyl) needs to be replaced. We
have decided to replace it with 12" square tiles. With other
remodeling going on we have decided not to replace the kitchen
cabinets now. That will be a later project.

The floor was installed before the cabinets were and therefore, goes
under the cabinets. My question is should I leave the cabinets in
place, along with the old floor, and put a new subfloor and tile over
the existing floor? Or should I remove the base cabinets old floor
and old subfloor, and put a new subfloor and tile from wall to wall
and reinstall the cabinets?

Is there a web site that shows detailed steps?

Thanks,
G.S.

Almost always new construction these days, the cabinets go in before the
floors. Putting a new floor in now and replacing the cabinets later is not
a big deal. I do suggest that you build the new cabinets taller by the
amount of the thickness of the new floor and if you have a dish washer
extend the tile floor inside that cavity or build up the floor to the new
floor height.
When I have replaced existing kitchen and bath room cabinets and there is a
taller tile floor, I let the toe kick plate hide any gap. The new cabinets
simply set in the same spot that the old cabinets did except I build them
taller by the height of the new floor.