Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default High water power cut off?

On Feb 2, 5:03*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group for
relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with nothing useful..

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump pump. *
The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the softener
regeneration to back up into the basement. *I'm looking for a high water
alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case something happens
again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. *That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

You should be able to set up the exterior plumbing on the sump
discharge so that it does not ice up causing a blockage. As others
have pointed out, using an oversize pipe, making sure it's sloped down
all the way, etc. should help. You might also want to have a fail-
safe feature so that water can still escape outside even if there is a
blockage further down. For example, the pipe coming out from the
house points down and ends above the open end of the drain pipe,
creating an air gap (like a spigot poised above a drain). If the
drain pipe is clogged the water can still exit the sump discharge pipe
- it might be coming out right next to the house but that is still
better than inside the house. That does make it more noisy though.
-- H