Posted to alt.home.repair

Default High water power cut off?

I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group for
relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with nothing useful.

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump pump.
The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the softener
regeneration to back up into the basement. I'm looking for a high water
alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case something happens
again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 5:03*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group for
relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with nothing useful..

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump pump. *
The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the softener
regeneration to back up into the basement. *I'm looking for a high water
alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case something happens
again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. *That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

You have no sewer drain in the basement? Where does laundry water go?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 6:03�am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group for
relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with nothing useful..

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump pump. �
The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the softener
regeneration to back up into the basement. �I'm looking for a high water
alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case something happens
again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. �That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

your better off with a back up sump pump assuming your sump is also a
underground drain.

you might stop the softener just to get flooded anyway...........

it would be easy to fabricate a sump pump switch that would detect
high water and turn off the softener... if you cant buy one
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 13:42:20 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan
wrote:

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group for
relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with nothing useful.

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump pump.
The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the softener
regeneration to back up into the basement. I'm looking for a high water
alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case something happens
again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Roll your own with this:
http://www.winland.com/WB-200.htm

and use a relay to shut down the softener & dehumidifier.

Be careful you don't remove power from the softener when it is dumping
water out the drain. Depending on the design, it might just continue
filling the basement with water because there is no power to close the
valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 2, 5:03 am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group for
relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with nothing useful.

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump pump.
The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the softener
regeneration to back up into the basement. I'm looking for a high water
alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case something happens
again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

You have no sewer drain in the basement? Where does laundry water go?

I've been fighting this problem with the waterfilter/softener recycle
discharge hose for a good while.

get the outlet hose (in places it can freeze) to slop downward so it
doesn't sit with water in it to freeze. In other places use a water pipe
heating cable wrap (sold at the box stores) - In cold places in my
basement I also have a cheap themostat and two 100 watt light bulbs to
keep that area above 32 degrees

paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puckdropper wrote:
I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group
for relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with
nothing useful.

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump
pump. The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the
softener regeneration to back up into the basement. I'm looking for
a high water alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case
something happens again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Since it has plenty of pressure behind it, why not plumb the softener directly
out with its own downsloaping drain? Make sure that any pipe exposed to freezing
temps is as short as possible and flows only downward to the outlet, and is well
insulated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 6:03*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group for
relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with nothing useful..

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump pump. *
The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the softener
regeneration to back up into the basement. *I'm looking for a high water
alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case something happens
again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. *That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Here's what you need.

http://www.aartech.ca/fs3-4h-90-floo...fs3-4h-90.html

Peter H
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter H" wrote in message
[...]

I used to have the same set up with my softener and what I did was to pipe
it up into the sewer line with a washer type of set up....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information! That little bit might have prevented another
flood after much work. :-)

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group
for relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with
nothing useful.

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump
pump. The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the
softener regeneration to back up into the basement. I'm looking for
a high water alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case
something happens again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Since it has plenty of pressure behind it, why not plumb the softener
directly out with its own downsloaping drain? Make sure that any pipe
exposed to freezing temps is as short as possible and flows only
downward to the outlet, and is well insulated.

The output froze up outside, where a length of PVC takes the water out
away from the house, and for whatever reason a lengthy flexible hose
extends the output well in to the yard. The flexible hose froze up and
the ice dammed the PVC pipe.

The idea about plumbing the softener directly out is a good one, but in
the case the same thing would have happened.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puckdropper wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

You really need a continuously downslopeing drain, so that all the water drains
out after the flow, before the pipe has a chance to freeze up. As long as there
is very little ice in the pipe, the next water flow should quickly melt it and
the pipe should not plug up. Non-metal pipe should help (low thermal mass),
insulation should help (more time to drain before it freezes). Avoid corrugated
pipe that will hold water, and any up slope along the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 7:34�pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

pipe that will hold water, and any up slope along the way.- Hide quoted text -

had this problem from a sump in garage near garage door. sump
collects driveway water

Solved permantely years ago, at least 10

Removed check valve from pump, ran sump exit line 2 inch to 4 inch 3
feet deep underground line.

Water goes up and falls a foot into the underground line sloping to
street.

At NO POINT can any water lay where it ever freezes.

The key is oversized lines
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Feb 2, 7:34�pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

),
insulation should help (more time to drain before it freezes). Avoid
corr

ugated
pipe that will hold water, and any up slope along the way.- Hide
quoted t

ext -

had this problem from a sump in garage near garage door. sump
collects driveway water

Solved permantely years ago, at least 10

Removed check valve from pump, ran sump exit line 2 inch to 4 inch 3
feet deep underground line.

Water goes up and falls a foot into the underground line sloping to
street.

At NO POINT can any water lay where it ever freezes.

The key is oversized lines

I'm not sure an underground line would be feasable at this point, but
transitioning to a 4" pipe immediately after the 2" pipe exits the house
would be. The natural heat of the house would keep the pipe from
freezing at that point, and the larger pipe wouldn't fill with water
after one or two pumpings.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 9:51*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
" wrote :

On Feb 2, 7:34 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

To email me directly, send a message to puckdropper (at) fastmail.fm- Hide quoted text -

This or similar may be a good and easy solution. It's a device that
provides an alternate emergency path for the water near where it exits
the house in the event that the regular line becomes blocked.

http://www.basementsystemscolorado.c...ceguard_denver

Also, if I had a sump that was also the discharge for the water
softener, or a sump that is essential to keeping the basement dry, I'd
have a backup sump.] pump set at a sligthly higher level. Possibly
battery backup deoending on situation. I think all these are better
than a system to shut down the water softener, as it gives you
coverage for groundwater too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 4:45*am, ransley wrote:
On Feb 2, 5:03*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group for
relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with nothing useful.

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump pump. *
The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the softener
regeneration to back up into the basement. *I'm looking for a high water
alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case something happens
again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. *That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

You have no sewer drain in the basement? Where does laundry water go?- Hide quoted text -

Probably the same place 99% of everyones gray water goes. Into the
sewer or septic tank. Yes, it is best not to do that but "best" and
"what gets done" are rarely the same thing.

Is it dark where your head is?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 5:03*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group for
relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with nothing useful..

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump pump. *
The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the softener
regeneration to back up into the basement. *I'm looking for a high water
alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case something happens
again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. *That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

You may already have everything you need if your basement is GFCI
protected. The only issue is to place a sensor at ground level to
detect flooding.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 4:45 am, ransley wrote:
[...]

Here in Maine it is code to have ALL gray water go into the septic so
perhaps it's dark where your head is????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 5:03*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've done some Google searching, checked the archives of this group for
relavent recent discussion, and have thus far come up with nothing useful..

We have a water softener and dehumidifier that drain in to the sump pump. *
The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the softener
regeneration to back up into the basement. *I'm looking for a high water
alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case something happens
again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. *That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

You should be able to set up the exterior plumbing on the sump
discharge so that it does not ice up causing a blockage. As others
have pointed out, using an oversize pipe, making sure it's sloped down
all the way, etc. should help. You might also want to have a fail-
safe feature so that water can still escape outside even if there is a
blockage further down. For example, the pipe coming out from the
house points down and ends above the open end of the drain pipe,
creating an air gap (like a spigot poised above a drain). If the
drain pipe is clogged the water can still exit the sump discharge pipe
- it might be coming out right next to the house but that is still
better than inside the house. That does make it more noisy though.
-- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote in
:

.

*
The sump pump output pipe froze, causing the discharge from the
softener regeneration to back up into the basement. *I'm looking for
a high wate

alarm that can cut the power to these devices in case something
happens again.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. *That's a good thing, though,
as

some
writers are incorrigible.

You may already have everything you need if your basement is GFCI
protected. The only issue is to place a sensor at ground level to
detect flooding.

Jimmie

I'd better check that... I don't think the outlet in there is GFCI, but
maybe it's on a GFCI breaker.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in
:

"Harry K" wrote in message
.
.. On Feb 2, 4:45 am, ransley wrote:
[...]

Most everything goes in to the septic, except for the dehumidifier and
softener.

Puckdropper