Brian Reay

Default Opposite of radiators... and more

"Davey" wrote in message
First, as an aside, what is the opposite of radiator (as in central
heating) - consumer, sink? Best I could think of was absorber.

To the point: I can't see any actual solutions to my problem, but it

should
provoke some intereresting discussion, anyway.

It's been very hot here in the UK this past weekend and while lying awake

in
the sweltering heat, trying and failing to get to sleep, I was wondering

if
there was anything I could do to cool the house down.

A popular solution in the US (where not everyone has air conditioning) is a
'whole house fan'. This is a BIG fan, maybe 2' in diameter which is located
in the upstairs ceiling and vents into the loft. In hot weather it draws
air in downstairs and blows the hot air out via the loft, which is also
cooled which, in turn, helps keep the house cooler.

Based on the cooling effect I get buy opening roof (velux) windows and a
downstairs window this approach is worth trying.

I know that blowing warm (or hot) moist air into a cold loft is wrong but,
in the summer, the loft isn't cold! Some cover would be required in the
winter to prevent warm moist air getting into the loft and causing
condensation.

Regards

Brian

--