Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Todd Rich Todd Rich is offline

Default Need step pulley source + update.

Terry Coombs wrote:

Logan Actuator , at www.lathe.com has a two step pulley similar to what
you're looking for . As this is a rather low-demand item , it's not cheap .
Since I'm a cheapskate , I bought a chunk of 6061-T6 and machined one .
The groove specs are available online . If you have to pay for shop time ,
it'd be cheaper to buy one from Scott Logan .

Well, since I got a quote from Wells Index for $150 for the 2 step pulley
I need and $190 for the 3 step, I bought a 2 1/3" single pulley to tide me
over until I can afford it, or make my own. The 3 step one, according to
our tool-room machinist is a lost cause. There are things I can do, but
since it is pot-metal, most of them are delaying actions. The keyway is
already oversize and likely to keep growing.

So, I'm going to just use some epoxy to hold stuff in place for a few
weeks until I can either buy the replacement part, or get somebody to make
it.

But thank you, it does look like the lathe.com part would do quite well.
It would only need to be bored out and a keyway put in.

Well, all in all, I can't complain too much, the mill only ran me $375 in
the first place.