Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Farmer Giles[_2_] Farmer Giles[_2_] is offline

Default TV with weak colour

"b" wrote in message
On 30 dic 2008, 15:46, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"b" wrote in message

I have a late '80s vintage Philips CP110 Tv , which works well, but
the colour is weak, even with the saturation control set to full the
picture is only just more 'colourful' than B&W!
. is this likely to be something like a low voltage to the RGB
stage,or something more serious?

-B

If the A1 control is set wrongly, some of the older CRT types can look
'washed out'. Sometimes, beam limiter problems can give the same effect.
fault in the ACC circuitry will do it, and sometimes, a mishapen
sandcastle
pulse, which used to be quite common back then. Often down to a resistor
in
the HOP stage, where the pulse is 'constructed', having gone high.

Arfa

I finally dug this set out again today and it did seem as if the G2
was a bit high, so I lowered the SCREEN control slightly on the Line o/
p tranny and that gave a far more natural colour. Haven't tried it
with RGB source, as didn't have one to hand. set seems fine now ,
cheers,
B.

I'm not familiar with the model - and slightly out of touch with TVs in
general - but having considerable experience in TV service in the distant
past, I can tell you that colour saturation has nothing to do with A1 or A2
controls - which only affect brightness or 'grey-scale' settings. Look for
the chrominance amplifier circuitry, that is where the problem is likely to
be.