Posted to uk.finance,uk.d-i-y

Default current accounts with online banking and NO TIMEOUT?

Stuart Noble wrote:
Rod wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:

So what banks have sensible web interfaces that aren't a total PITA?

Ain't just banks. The number of companies that lose your order/basket
if you pause for a few minutes is huge. I could put up with having to
login again (or use some password to reactivate a session), but losing
the list of carefully identified and chosen items is enough to make me
want to go elsewhere. And, if possible, I do.

What compounds the annoyance/irksomeness factor is that you are
rarely, if ever, told that this happens.

I thought shopping baskets were cookies. Mine seem to stay intact, even
if I don't go back to the site for a few days

They are, but you can set timeouts on a cookie.

Do you want someone randomly inserting cookies into their browser and
trying every online bank till they find one that matches, and that is
still 'live'..

With a stateless protocol, there is no way the banks can tell if you are
still online, or if its someone else using your cookies..and cookies can
be read by any site you visit..in theory. Though browsers are getting
clued up to that one.