Posted to uk.d-i-y
Appelation Controlee Appelation Controlee is offline

Default current accounts with online banking and NO TIMEOUT?

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 14:35:02 +0800, Chris Blunt wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 01:02:50 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:

So what banks have sensible web interfaces that aren't a total PITA?

Well of all that I have tried so far (probably half a dozen or more of
the high street big names, de-mutulaised building socs, and some of the
internet only ones) I would say that Barclays have the best online front
end by far. You can do most stuff relatively easily. However they do
have a timeout[1] of about 10 mins or so IIRC.

[1] As I am sure you are aware there are technical reasons for only
maintaining a web session for a relatively short period of time -
especially if you plan to do it for lots of sessions. You will quickly
run out of server resources if you do not take care.

I find this annoying too. It's just that with most banks the timeout
seems to be a bit too short. 20 to 30 minutes would be more
reasonable.

If you view every open session as an exposure to whatever level of risk,
it makes sense to terminate connections that have become inactive.