Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] nukemedtc99m@yahoo.com is offline

Default NAD 7150 Stereo Receiver/Amp Noise when Listen knob set to phono.

Thank you to both William and Arfa I'll be looking for a service
establishment.
Thanks again

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 16:23:01 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Hi
I'm not a tech in any way, but before I take this for repair, I want
to make sure it's not a simple connection/hookup issue.

I got this and a Technics turntable on Ebay, and I'm very happy with
them so far. The receiver is hooked up, radio works great, audio from
DVD/TV works great.

When I select Listen/Phono, I get a loud rumble through the speakers,
whether the TT is on or not, and whether it is plugged into the back
of the REC or not.

The noise goes up and down when the volume is turned.

The TT does work and play records, but the rumbling is underneath.

Also, the ( I assume) ground lead from the back of the TT, where does
that get connected?

The fact that the rumble goes up and down with the volume control, coupled
with the fact that it is not present on other input selections, indicates a
fault with the phono input preamp, which is usually a fairly conventional
opamp stage. As you say "speakers" in the plural, I assume that the problem
is present on both stereo channels. I have heard this sort of problem being
caused by the opamp itself being faulty on a number of occasions over the
years, but other causes could be a power supply issue - such as a bad
decoupling cap on one of the opamp rails, or even a noisy regulator, that
only shows when you are switched to a very high sensitivity input such as
"phono".

As far as fixing this problem goes, it should be a simple matter for an
experienced engineer, but if you have no personal experience of electronic
service work, it may be beyond your capabilities. I wouldn't expect it to be
expensive.

Any separate ground wire from the turntable, just needs to be connected to
the amp's rear panel metalwork. Most amps which have a specific phono input,
usually have a knurled screw to accommodate this ground wire. Depending on
the overall configuration of the system, the effect of attaching this wire
can be anything from un-noticable to profound.

Arfa