Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NAD 7150 Stereo Receiver/Amp Noise when Listen knob set to phono.

Hi
I'm not a tech in any way, but before I take this for repair, I want
to make sure it's not a simple connection/hookup issue.

I got this and a Technics turntable on Ebay, and I'm very happy with
them so far. The receiver is hooked up, radio works great, audio from
DVD/TV works great.

When I select Listen/Phono, I get a loud rumble through the speakers,
whether the TT is on or not, and whether it is plugged into the back
of the REC or not.

The noise goes up and down when the volume is turned.

The TT does work and play records, but the rumbling is underneath.

Also, the ( I assume) ground lead from the back of the TT, where does
that get connected?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

When I select Listen/Phono, I get a loud rumble through
the speakers, whether the TT is on or not, and whether
it is plugged into the back of the REC or not.

I don't know what you mean by "rumble", but I assume you mean "hum".

Yes, if the TT is not properly grounded to the amplifier, there's a good
chance of getting loud and annoying hum.

On the other hand, the fact you get this noise even when the TT is not
connected suggests there might be something wrong with the amplifier's phono
preamp.

I'd suggest starting your troubleshooting by making sure the TT is properly
grounded to the amp. Check the ground wire to be sure it isn't broken.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Hi
I'm not a tech in any way, but before I take this for repair, I want
to make sure it's not a simple connection/hookup issue.

I got this and a Technics turntable on Ebay, and I'm very happy with
them so far. The receiver is hooked up, radio works great, audio from
DVD/TV works great.

When I select Listen/Phono, I get a loud rumble through the speakers,
whether the TT is on or not, and whether it is plugged into the back
of the REC or not.

The noise goes up and down when the volume is turned.

The TT does work and play records, but the rumbling is underneath.

Also, the ( I assume) ground lead from the back of the TT, where does
that get connected?

The fact that the rumble goes up and down with the volume control, coupled
with the fact that it is not present on other input selections, indicates a
fault with the phono input preamp, which is usually a fairly conventional
opamp stage. As you say "speakers" in the plural, I assume that the problem
is present on both stereo channels. I have heard this sort of problem being
caused by the opamp itself being faulty on a number of occasions over the
years, but other causes could be a power supply issue - such as a bad
decoupling cap on one of the opamp rails, or even a noisy regulator, that
only shows when you are switched to a very high sensitivity input such as
"phono".

As far as fixing this problem goes, it should be a simple matter for an
experienced engineer, but if you have no personal experience of electronic
service work, it may be beyond your capabilities. I wouldn't expect it to be
expensive.

Any separate ground wire from the turntable, just needs to be connected to
the amp's rear panel metalwork. Most amps which have a specific phono input,
usually have a knurled screw to accommodate this ground wire. Depending on
the overall configuration of the system, the effect of attaching this wire
can be anything from un-noticable to profound.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thank you to both William and Arfa I'll be looking for a service
establishment.
Thanks again

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 16:23:01 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Hi
I'm not a tech in any way, but before I take this for repair, I want
to make sure it's not a simple connection/hookup issue.

I got this and a Technics turntable on Ebay, and I'm very happy with
them so far. The receiver is hooked up, radio works great, audio from
DVD/TV works great.

When I select Listen/Phono, I get a loud rumble through the speakers,
whether the TT is on or not, and whether it is plugged into the back
of the REC or not.

The noise goes up and down when the volume is turned.

The TT does work and play records, but the rumbling is underneath.

Also, the ( I assume) ground lead from the back of the TT, where does
that get connected?

Good morning,

On the back of your NAD 7150 to the left of the phono input jacks are 3
items that require your attention. On top is a switch marked "MC MM"
to set the phono preamp for Moving Coil or Moving Magnet type
cartridges. Moving Magnet are more common, so that is where I'd try
setting the switch first. Just below that is the ground screw where you
can attach your turntable's ground wire. The lowest item of the 3 is
the phono capacitance switch, which I would leave in the center position
for now.

I suggest moving both of the switches back and forth a few times to
clean up their contacts, as that could be your entire problem. Try the
MM position first. The MC position will give more gain, but overload
more easily. As for the phono capacitance, I'm not sure what setting to
suggest, as it depends on your cartridge, so try the middle first, and
see how it sounds. You won't hurt anything by trying the other
positions for a sound you like.

The phono stage in this receiver does not use a common op amp, it uses
discrete (separate) transistors, and uses an FET input differential
pair. I'd agree with the other posters that if both channels have the
same problem, then the power supply could be the cause too.

Lastly, there are 3 other switches on the rear of your receiver and I'd
suggest you set the as follows (for normal stereo use):

Bridging: Off

Soft Clipping: On

Speaker Impedance: Normal

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks Tim
I switched to MM and cut the sound down by half or more.
I have confirmed that the sound is only on the left channel, and I
would descibe it not so much as hum as the sound of wind blowing on a
vocal microphone. Anyway........
The other settings you recommended have no real effect, but I have
them where you suggested.

Where from here?

Thanks again.
Gene

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 12:01:20 GMT, Tim Schwartz

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/3/2009 2:25 PM Dave Platt spake thus:

The fact that it's a wind-like rumbling lends a bit of additional
evidence to the suspicion that it's in the RIAA stage, because this
stage boosts the lows. If it was just a white-noise source after the
RIAA stage it would sound more like a hiss than a rumble.

I had exactly this problem with a receiver years ago, and it turned out
to be a bad transistor somewhere in the preamp stages.

In my case, I was easily able to find the offending part by tapping on
the transistors, as the bad one had gone microphonic. You might try
this; turn the receiver on, turn the volume up just a little ways until
you can hear the noise (not too high, now), then tap on all the
transistors you can see in the preamp section (near the input
connectors, probably). If you hear a big "thump!" when you hit one, it
needs to be replaced.

In the case of my receiver, I was able to get a NTE replacement that was
close enough. The thing still works fine 15 years later.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair