Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default BUY USA clause in bailout package violates NAFTA

wrote in message
On Jan 31, 7:15 pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:

Your anger and ire are misplaced. We're in the situation we're in by
spending our money overseas. Our largess with our neighboring countries,
through NAFTA, brought only the beneficients' scorn and disdain, while we
suffered loss of jobs and loss of capital.

*** Major snippage ***

Manufacturing builds a long supply chain, opening more
domestic markets, developing still more jobs, and circulating the capital
more corners of the economy. Or something like that.

Mike, I appreciate your thoughtful response. But to me it sounds like
a high school civics lesson given by an economics teacher. You
obviously have a much more idealistic belief in our system than I do.

To use your simple analogy, I think that money given by the government
to US companies will indeed flow through our plumbing system and into
the hands of the gutter rats.

You see everything working as it would in a textbook situation. Money
flowing from the top down, everyone receiving benefits. A great plan
if it would work.

But the USA isn't that way. Individuals now steal billions of dollars
at a time. Billions. American businesses are so cavalier in their
practices that they use "bailout money" slated to assist the public to
pay themselves bonuses for jobs poorly done. With no oversight, they

===========
If it's the bailout you object to, I don't have an opinion. You already have
my thoughts on import versus domestic spending. It's the only part of it
that makes any sense, and requires very little in the way of beliefs or
idealism. If you want to rave on about crooks and thieves, greed, corruption
and wholesale lack of ethics in public office, and a government grown too
big ... what can I possibly say? Pour you another beer if you like and we
can both cry into it. My suggestion is to just cook up another batch of
popcorn, pull up a comfy chair, and kick back to watch the biggest circus
sideshow to hit town in decades. There ain't jack else you or I can do about
it. (FWIW, I've tried banning my wife from watching that kook case Lou Dobbs
on CNN. She mistakes his gossip and ranting for hard news and facts. I'll
settle for her not parroting his nonsense in my presence, but she still
slips up now and then. One day, I really will climb the roof and clip that
satellite cable.)