Posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Scope of work

Info wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 1:57 am, "Info" wrote:
I'm the wheelchair-friendly bathroom remodel guy. Here's the initial
"scope
of work" document I received from Tub Cove. This company is the
only contender because the others were too expensive too much rot. I
don't
think they
wanted my business and Tub Cove has specialized exclusively in this
work
for at least
twenty years.

http://www.geocities.com/haroldshams...pe_of_Work.xls

I've been on project teams, coordinating work, but I have not been at
the
front end "SOW" part before. What do you think ? I need a more specific
document and will ask for it.

On other concern I have is the contract. At a minimum, I need to make
sure
he can restore the bathroom if a problem (I don't know how to put it)
crops up that makes the original plan unworkable. Suppose the wall
on the side of the tub gives way when he removes the tub? That will be
his obligation to fix, but I need to make sure I can make that stick. I
also
want a "not to exceed" amount in the contract.
You're aware that you'll have to transfer into that shower because
there's a 2-1/2" threshold, correct? Most people in wheelchairs prefer
roll-in showers. Also, the way that SOW is written, you'll be eating
any additional work if there is any extra work involved once the tub
is removed. You can't expect the person doing the estimating to have
xray vision. Good luck with your project.

What I see in there is permits and inspections are excluded from the bid
price, and also I see nothing in there about structural
repair/reconstruction, so if any is required that would be a change order.
I would ask what their price for, say, a new subfloor would be if
required, just in case. In pretty much any construction environment
change orders are higher margin than bid work, and that's not the company
trying to screw you that's just the way it is, so you might as well get an
idea of cost in a "worst case" scenario.

Did the "other guys" include an estimate of rot repair in their bids? It
may turn out that that might be a cheaper overall price. worth asking.

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

1) I want a 2 1/2 lip to help keep the water in. I'm having them build a
inexpensive, sturdy and movable ramp that will help the pushing me over the
lip easier. As I understand it, a roll-in shower would require a great deal
more work on the tub floor. I'm in a condo and the floor is "common space."
Digging into that will be enormously expensive and the building management
company is not very cooperative. It took them 6 weeks to change a light
bulb in a stairwell. God knows what hoops I'd have to jump through to
invade common space.

2) I know about the inspections and permits. We're getting them done on the
side with Tub Cove. The SOW was just the preliminary document and written
awhile back.

3) They're going to remove the tile floor and replace it with one that
slopes up a little toward the lip.

4) I worded "too expensive, too much rot." so horribly. The rot is not
what might be behind the wall. The rot is the bull that I've received from
others I've asked to bid. One guy refused to give me a non-binding
guesstimate because "I don't know what's under the floor." He meant its
condition. Wouldn't even hazard a non-binding guess? That's "rot."
Another said "$25k. There's no money in bathrooms. I can't get more than
one person in there at a time." I accept that and that he's more than
welcome to charge anything he wants. He had no intention of negotiating at
all. Another guy said $45. $45k for a 56 square foot bathroom remodel?
The drawing that he sent was absurdly different from what my wife and I told
him to his face we wanted. Yikes! If they didn't want the job, all they had
to do was say "No." A fourth fellow tried to fleece me out of an alleged
$1k retainer to which I never agreed at all. A fifth fellow said that my
accountant was wrong and that the entire cost would be tax deductible. He's
a contractor. He was full of rot. My account is a former IRS agent.

I need to ask more about change orders. Thanks for the feedback.

Well, if you didn't mean "rot" to mean "water damage" don't pester them
too much about the COs. Time is money, they probably want to just get
in and out and get paid. An offhand question can't hurt though.

nate