Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default BUY USA clause in bailout package violates NAFTA

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 31, 11:25 pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Jan 31, 8:15 pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:

wrote in message

[... snipped "buy USA" for bailout ...]

This is just starting to get worse by the day. The arrogance and
stupidity of this whole bailout situation is getting ridiculous.

Your anger and ire are misplaced. We're in the situation we're in by
spending our money overseas. Our largess with our neighboring countries,
through NAFTA, brought only the beneficients' scorn and disdain, while
we
suffered loss of jobs and loss of capital. Hell, even our marijuana
comes
from Canada and Mexico. It's true; we can't compete with their smaller
economies on a level field.

As for the stimulus money, the simplest analogy is with pipes and
plumbing.
In a closed system, the money makes several roundtrips through the
economy
before petering out, multiplying its effectiveness each time through.
The
money goes to workers in your community, where they spend it on goods,
and
they in turn spend it on more goods. We pay taxes on the money. The
money
comes back out to pay for more work and more product. There's a name for
this economic theory. Keynesian, I think, but I might as well try to do
integral calculus as remember the fine details.

How does that deal with manufacturers of products for foreign markets?
Not everything the US makes is for domestic consumption. You have to
keep selling cluster bombs to other 'friendly' countries, you know.

========
The trade imbalance is specifically the problem. I'm for sending those
clusters bombs to friendlies, as well as free contributions to those
hostile
to US interests. There was a time when dropping a bomb, a US made bomb,
eventually circulated the money back into our economy. Bush's $8B war was
supposed to generate $8B of revenue for those concerns involved in
replenishing the stockpile.

I guess I didn't make my point very clear. If the US won't buy stuff
from other countries, what makes anybody think they will sell anything
to other countries?

Back to woodworking.
=====
We were talking strictly of how economic stimulus money was to be spent. We
can talk about burning Walmarts some other day.