Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] cwo4cno7325@yahoo.com is offline

Default Cold weather experience with Titebond III?

On Jan 31, 10:42*am, dpb wrote:

However, this year I decided to try Titebond III, in part because it
has a lower working temperature than Titebond I. *To my surprise, I
had a couple of joints fail, even though I was gluing at around the
minimum working temperature, 45 deg. F. *Has anyone else experienced
this, or did I mess up some other factor, like starving the joint, or
maybe not having the surfaces in tight-enough contact?

I'd go w/ the cold as the primary culprit. *Yes, I've had the problem.

Remember it's the actual temperature of the material not just the glue
that will be controlling. *Even if you bring the glue out from the
house, when it gets in contact w/ the wood surfaces that remained in the
shop it'll get to their temperature real quick.

I wouldn't risk low-temperature gluing -- the time involved in getting
to glue up plus the pita of repairing the results of a failure just
don't make it a paying proposition in my book. *If you can't arrange
some heat or bring the work inside, my recommendation is to wait 'til
warmer weather.

--

I too would recommend getting some heat to your project. I assume you
have Lectricity, so even a small portable radiant heater may do the