Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default generators in parallel

On Jan 30, 1:10*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 30, 10:08 am, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote: wrote in message

1) how do you propose to vary the speed of a home generator to get it
in phase with another?
2) once in phase and you throw the switch to connect them and they
lock together, how do you control the throttle settings *of both so
that they share the load instead of one driving the other...
each home generator has a crude speed control governor on the throttle
and if they are not set to ___exactly___ the same speed, *the "faster
one" will take all the load and the "slower one" will be driven as a
motor like you described.... *as another poster said, the whole system
will probably "hunt" like crazy...
it is an interesting problem but unless you re-design the throttle
governors I don't see how you can get this to work..
sounds like a fun thing to try though...
Mark

The getting them paralled is no problem. *They have adjustments for the
speed. *Just not too user adjustable unless you know where and how.

The answer to your # 2 is sort of what I was looking for. *They will try to
stay in sync for a while, but it may only be a few seconds, or they may stay
that way for a long time. *I was trying to find out if anyone had ever tried
it and if it worked or not. *I don't intend to sit and adjust the speed
after they are connected but want to rely on the governers to mantain the
speed.
I hate to blow about $ 1500 if they burn each other up just to be the first
one to try it....
Especially now that I just cleaned out the fuel system of one of them due to
not running it for a long time and leaving the old fuel in it.

I think your best bet would be to check at youtube.com If it DOES
work, someone will have a video showing how to do it. If it DOESN''T
work, someone will have a pretty exciting video of that, too.
Gasoline, electricity and the possibility of a spark -- it sounds like
it's made for youtube.