Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default generators in parallel

Van Chocstraw wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
I have two generators rated at 5 KW each. I know how to phase and put the
two in parallel while they are both running. The question is will they stay
in sync and put out 10 kw if needed ?

I know the Honda generators have a parallel cord, but think that is for the
inverter type. The ones I have are made by two differant companies and just
the inexpensive kind that sell for around $ 600 to $ 800 at most stores.

Not that way but you CAN connect one generator to one leg of your 220
volt supply and the other one to the other side. Using 110 volts from
each generator for each half of the house and it should work fine.

That would not work for any 240V loads as the two sources would be
drifting in and out of phase and 240V devices would see wildly varying
voltages.

Yes, it is possible to parallel generators and not just the inverter
based ones, it has been done daily since the beginning of electric
power. It has just been uncommon to parallel small generators.