Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default generators in parallel

Ralph Mowery wrote:

wrote in message
On Jan 29, 6:53 pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
I have two generators rated at 5 KW each. I know how to phase and put the
two in parallel while they are both running.

Really?
How are you going to get them in phase and stay in phase?

Mark

It is easy to get them in phase and running together. I have done that many
times at work with 3 phase motor generator sets with 50 horsepower or so
setups. We have varitable speed equipment that can not be stopped and to
work on the motor generator sets we parallel a spare set long enough to take
the running set off line. Simplest way is to hook up a voltmeter between
them and when the meter goes to zero you throw the switch to put them in
parallel. In simple terms the generators become electric motors and one
will try to drive the other to the same speed after the electricl
connection is made.

My question is really has anyone done this and will it work with the simple
home generators.

Neon John on alt.energy.homepower has reportedly regularly paralleled
two of the $100 1kW 2cycle chinese generators without issues.