Posted to rec.woodworking
Knotbob Knotbob is offline

Default Is there a Tool Opposite of Vice (Separator)?

On Jan 27, 4:38*pm, Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. *Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. * I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

I have some of the Irwin type clamps that can be reversed to act as a
spreader.
They have limitations as to pressure that you can exert with them and
you will need to slide the rubber pads on opposite of the way the come
new so as you're tightening/spreading the rubber feet don't push
themselves off.
(that was probably a lousy description for how the rubber pads that
are supposed to be protecting your surface slip as you exert
pressure.)
Robb