Posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Scope of work

"Info" wrote in message
diainc...
I'm the wheelchair-friendly bathroom remodel guy. Here's the initial
"scope
of work" document I received from Tub Cove. This company is the
only contender because the others were too expensive too much rot. I
don't
think they
wanted my business and Tub Cove has specialized exclusively in this work
for at least
twenty years.

http://www.geocities.com/haroldshams...pe_of_Work.xls

I've been on project teams, coordinating work, but I have not been at the
front end "SOW" part before. What do you think ? I need a more specific
document and will ask for it.

On other concern I have is the contract. At a minimum, I need to make
sure
he can restore the bathroom if a problem (I don't know how to put it)
crops up that makes the original plan unworkable. Suppose the wall
on the side of the tub gives way when he removes the tub? That will be
his obligation to fix, but I need to make sure I can make that stick. I
also
want a "not to exceed" amount in the contract.

IMO, you are a PITA and I'd not want to work for you. It is really
impossible to give a "will not exceed" number when there is known rot and
some is hidden. He may give an astronomical number to cover his ass and
maybe scare you away. Same thing with the restoration. That can be pricey
too and he has to be paid for the work he does. You have concerns about one
wall collapsing. If that is true, he'll have to add in the price of
replacement to cover his potential liability for you rotting house.

When I had my own business, I'd walk away from some jobs. This would fall
into that category. Plenty of other good jobs out there.