Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] featherlightshavings@yahoo.com is offline

Default Is there a Tool Opposite of Vice (Separator)?

Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

This reminds me of working at an oil refinery in my late teens. The
rite of passage was to send the new kid to the tool crib and ask the
crusty old guy behind the fence for a board stretcher. I grew up with
a practical joker for a father so I got that one when I was about 11.
So when it got to "go check out a board stretcher" at the refinery off
I went. After dawdling around the bend a few minutes, I came back
with a smile and said it was checked out. They used a chip/tag
system, I knew the tag number for the guy who sent me, so I told
everybody assembled that it was checked out under one of his chips and
the tool crib guy really wanted it back.

hex
-30-