Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Weston John Weston is offline

Default gas fire that looks like a woodburner

In article ,
says...

very inefficient ... burning a lot of gas for effect, and not to obtain heat
... but it's your money.

But in the type I use, the flame. glow bed and the imitation glowing
coals, pebbles or driftwood is all in an enclosed, glass-fronted box
insulated at the back and sides and with a heat exchanger in the flue,
which gives warm air out of a vent. The 85% quoted efficiency of heat
output is at maximum gas input.

I agree, though, that your electric version at almost 100% output will
be better when the price of gas rises to more than 85% of the electicity
price per KWh. Since the price of our electricity is closely tied to
the oil price, as is that of gas at the moment, when will this happen?

--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice