Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default gas fire that looks like a woodburner

In a previous life I had two wood burning stoves (one clearview, - far
superior to the other, a morso) and and endless supply of cheap wood
with plenty of space to store.

Since moving I need a heat source in my living room to replace the
useless "living flame " fire.

I am considering one of those fires that looks just liike a
woodburner, sits on a plinth out from the wall and runs on mains gas.

Can anyone tell me anything about them please?

Am I likely to need the chimney lined or however it functioned with
the living flame be sufficient?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jan, 19:26, John Weston wrote:
In article d25e6b51-aaf1-4b13-9daa-0c6840dc7532
@n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com, says...

In a previous life I had two wood burning stoves (one clearview, - far
superior to the other, a morso) and and endless supply of cheap wood
with plenty of space to store.

Since moving I need a heat source in my living room to replace the
useless "living flame " fire.

I am considering one of those fires that looks just liike a
woodburner, sits on a plinth out from the wall and runs on mains gas.

Can anyone tell me anything about them please?

Am I likely to need the chimney lined or however it functioned with
the living flame be sufficient?

You could replace the old open living flame fire with a modern, glass-
fronted, efficient version (up to 85% AFAICR). *I did this a few month's
ago and it is much better, with no drafts up the chimney and most of the
heat coming into the room. It sits back in the normal fireplace recess
or could have been be flush mounted, depending on model.

Yes, you will need the chimney lining, if the living flame fire was
simply installed in the old open fireplace with nothing done to the the
chimney.
--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice- Hide quoted text -

Thanks John, whave not seen those.

Does it belt out a good heat?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 8ca61759-0a05-4a8d-a5d8-05440cb34d86@
40g2000prx.googlegroups.com, says...
On 26 Jan, 19:26, John Weston says...

You could replace the old open living flame fire with a modern, glass-
fronted, efficient version (up to 85% AFAICR). *I did this a few month's
ago and it is much better, with no drafts up the chimney and most of the
heat coming into the room. It sits back in the normal fireplace recess
or could have been be flush mounted, depending on model.

Yes, you will need the chimney lining, if the living flame fire was
simply installed in the old open fireplace with nothing done to the the
chimney.
--
John W

Thanks John, whave not seen those.

Does it belt out a good heat?

Ours is 4.4Kw output at 85% efficient, according the the rating plate.
See:
http://www.paragonfires.co.uk/catalo...spx?prod_id=50 for
similar types.

I use it to heat just the one room, when working at home during the day,
if needed, since the programmable central heating thermostat has decided
we should be out :-) It's good when you need a shot of instant heat and
a comforting flame after being out late, this time of year.
--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"vbleau" wrote in message
In a previous life I had two wood burning stoves (one clearview, - far
superior to the other, a morso) and and endless supply of cheap wood
with plenty of space to store.

Since moving I need a heat source in my living room to replace the
useless "living flame " fire.

I am considering one of those fires that looks just liike a
woodburner, sits on a plinth out from the wall and runs on mains gas.

Can anyone tell me anything about them please?

Am I likely to need the chimney lined or however it functioned with
the living flame be sufficient?

very inefficient ... burning a lot of gas for effect, and not to obtain heat
.... but it's your money.

I had looked at putting one of these in my place, in the end I put an
electric, flame effect ... only costs a low energy light bulb to run, and we
use it instead of a lamp on in the room ... pretty effective.

Fire back for woodburner John Carlyle-Clarke UK diy 8 January 5th 07 05:31 PM
Woodburner with back boiler HandyMart UK diy 3 March 25th 06 10:27 PM
Gas Fire - Fire basket and gas engine or just a simple Valor gas fire? Farouq UK diy 2 March 7th 06 12:04 AM
Woodburner - long! puffernutter UK diy 5 October 27th 05 06:36 AM
Woodburner Installation Stu UK diy 5 July 9th 05 02:59 AM