Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes Rick Hughes is offline

Default gas fire that looks like a woodburner

"vbleau" wrote in message
In a previous life I had two wood burning stoves (one clearview, - far
superior to the other, a morso) and and endless supply of cheap wood
with plenty of space to store.

Since moving I need a heat source in my living room to replace the
useless "living flame " fire.

I am considering one of those fires that looks just liike a
woodburner, sits on a plinth out from the wall and runs on mains gas.

Can anyone tell me anything about them please?

Am I likely to need the chimney lined or however it functioned with
the living flame be sufficient?

very inefficient ... burning a lot of gas for effect, and not to obtain heat
.... but it's your money.

I had looked at putting one of these in my place, in the end I put an
electric, flame effect ... only costs a low energy light bulb to run, and we
use it instead of a lamp on in the room ... pretty effective.