Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default In Honor of Don Foreman's successful defib implant...

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that "Michael Koblic"
wrote on Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:55:08 -0800 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
AL A wrote:
In order to observe and celebrate the positive outcome of Don's recent
medical procedures, I would like to share a little project that I
completed a recently. (Drum roll, please....)Presenting the amazing,
one-of-a-kind..........

.....DEFIBRILLATOR COFFEE TABLE!!!!!!:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...d/IMG_2622.jpg

That is a real, but old defib machine. It was actually working* when
I got it out of an old barn, where it had been stored for many years for
some reason.

That one would be kind of hard to implant. However...

I remember a lady who did not want to have one of them new-fangled
pacemakers implanted. The old one worked for her just fine. It was a box,
not unlike the one in the picture (smaller of course :-) which was
attached
to her waist by a belt. The whole thing was powered by Duracell batteries.
She was pacing- dependent so we (and others) always asked the same
question;
"How do you change the batteries?"

The answer was "Very quickly!"

LOL.

I had an SO with a "valve job". When it was quiet, I could hear
her heart "clicking". Could tell to some degree her mental state,
as much as it was reflected in her pulse. But the times when I would
have liked to know, things were usually too noisy to hear that little
clicking sound. Sigh.

"This is not a brouhaha, this is Science!"

pyotr

I can hear mine plainly although I wear hearing aids. Others have stopped
and shushed me and asked, "What is that noise?" I usually have some fun
with them before I tell them. Soon after surgery, I was up hiking in the
mountains. I had a light pack on, and could hear a drip, drip, drip. I
checked my water bottles, thinking it was one of them leaking. The second
time I heard it, I stopped and listened and realized what it was. It's
plain as day, but gets covered up most of the time by normal sound levels.
But when it is quiet, you can hear it.

Steve