Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Weston John Weston is offline

Default gas fire that looks like a woodburner

In article 8ca61759-0a05-4a8d-a5d8-05440cb34d86@
40g2000prx.googlegroups.com, says...
On 26 Jan, 19:26, John Weston says...

You could replace the old open living flame fire with a modern, glass-
fronted, efficient version (up to 85% AFAICR). *I did this a few month's
ago and it is much better, with no drafts up the chimney and most of the
heat coming into the room. It sits back in the normal fireplace recess
or could have been be flush mounted, depending on model.

Yes, you will need the chimney lining, if the living flame fire was
simply installed in the old open fireplace with nothing done to the the
chimney.
--
John W

Thanks John, whave not seen those.

Does it belt out a good heat?

Ours is 4.4Kw output at 85% efficient, according the the rating plate.
See:
http://www.paragonfires.co.uk/catalo...spx?prod_id=50 for
similar types.

I use it to heat just the one room, when working at home during the day,
if needed, since the programmable central heating thermostat has decided
we should be out :-) It's good when you need a shot of instant heat and
a comforting flame after being out late, this time of year.
--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice