Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default In Honor of Don Foreman's successful defib implant...

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:11:39 -0500, AL A wrote:

In order to observe and celebrate the positive outcome of Don's recent
medical procedures, I would like to share a little project that I
completed a recently. (Drum roll, please....)Presenting the amazing,
one-of-a-kind..........

.....DEFIBRILLATOR COFFEE TABLE!!!!!!:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...d/IMG_2622.jpg

That is a real, but old defib machine. It was actually working* when I
got it out of an old barn, where it had been stored for many years for
some reason.

The legs are textile loom spindles. The only "metalworking" involved
was that I made the little brass feet at the bottom of the spindles.
They are threaded, and there is 3/8-16 all-thread rod up the middle of
the spindles into the bottom of the unit. According to my son-in-law
(who is a graphic artist) it has a "steampunk" look to it. There is a
glass top that is not in the picture. I made this as a gift for my
oldest daughter, who is a cardiac nurse. She and her husband like odd
stuff.

I don't get by this group as often as in the past partly due to time,
and partly due to the static some of the less mentally gifted feel the
need to spew around here, but Mr. Foreman is one of the guys that make
it still worth checking in from time to time. Glad things went well,
Don.

*No, I did not zap anyone with it. It did show a trace on the CRT, and
it did charge up when you pushed the "charge" button, and it did make a
nice fat spark across at short gap I attached when you hit the button.
Pretty cool. I was going to test it on the neighbors cat, but thought
better of it.

To be really appropriate for Don's _automatic_ defib, it should be rigged
so that if someone slumps on to it from the couch it gives them a healthy
jolt.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com