Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Is this a Safe Table Saw Operation?

wrote in message
On Jan 21, 6:44 pm, "Leon" wrote:

The biggest mistake I see people make is to just fixate on what is
happening at the cut and ignore what is happening at the fence. Get
your hands out of the path of the cut and the blade will do its job
just fine without you staring at it, as long as you do your job of
feeding the stock properly.

Yeah I used to think that way, I always keep my eye on the blade when it
is
spinning. My lesson 20 years ago taught me that any thing can happen
when
you are not paying attention to the blade.

I didn't say ignore the blade, I said not to be fixated on it. You
can even be staring at the damn blade and watch your hand go right
into it before you realize what you just did. It's not enough to be
looking, you have to have your brain turned on too.

-Kevin

Correct, you did not say ignore the blade nor did I indicate that you said
that. I said that I always keep my eye off on the blade when it is
spinning. If you are set up properly and taking prudent precautions you
should not have to worry about other areas of the saw.

I totally agree that you can be staring at the blade and watch your hand go
right into it before you realize what you did. And, it is pretty simple to
realize that having said that, that not watching the blade would increase
the chance of your hand doing the same.

That sounds like a pretty simple analysis but accidents happen in the
simplest of situations. You cannot be too careful.