Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Howard Stephen Howard is offline

Default Beeswax ?

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 04:48:55 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 21 Jan, 12:00, Stephen Howard wrote:

You'll get better and quicker results with a professionally made
polish, such as those sold by Liberon or Renaissance.

I'd agree with the recommendation to use these (esp. Liberon) for
initial finishing work on new cabinetry. I still prefer beeswax for
maintenance and cleaning use, particularly as most of my high-end work
is repro in oak.

Renaissance (read Wikipedia) is an oddity though, as it is a different
wax and not just a different solvent. I know there are people who
swear by it on wood, but I can't say I've ever seen the point. Best
thing for metals though.

These polishes tend to be thinner ( they use better solvents and have
additives that *keep the mixture stable )

For Briwax, there's also the issue that UK-spec wax uses toluene,
whilst US-spec wax doesn't and isn't thought to be such a good wax.

Are they still using toluene? It's been removed from the
once-legendary Evo-Stik and it's now not nearly as effective as it
used to be - I would imagine every other product that uses this
solvent would be similarly affected.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net