Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running Electrical wire in shed

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 20:07:43 -0600, wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:35:48 -0800 (PST), RedDwarf
wrote:

On Jan 20, 11:25Â*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 06:54:05 -0800 (PST), RedDwarf
wrote:

I built this shed in the backyard, it has a dedicated 20amp GFCI
circuit running to it. Once inside the shed (it comes in from the
floor) I have it hit a junction box and branch out to the various
spots i need it (outlets/lights etc.).

My question is, do I HAVE to run the wire through the studs (drilling
a lot of holes because studs are 16 on center)? or can I run it on the
surface of the wood, near the top sill? what are my options? I have a
work bench, am I allowed to run it under the work surface, and staple
it to the underside? any thoughts as to how I can avoid drilling a
bunch of holes?

I live in norfolk, va...

You dont need to drill if you are leaving the rafters exposed. Â*Just
staple it to the bottom of the rafters. Â*If you're going from joist to
joist (across the joists), code requires solid wood under the wire, so
just nail a 1x4 under the rafters and staple it to that, which might
be a good place to put lights too.

LM

I built a shed in a far more moderate climate than VA, and after a
couple of years of suffering I put in insulation and drywall. OP might
consider whether the shed will be comfortable enough to use more than a
month or two out of the year. DIRTFT.

thanks everyone. I wouldn't mind drilling - the problem is when I
drill, i'm going through a spade bit like every 2 or 3 studs. it's
getting expensive.
I may do a combination of both running it across the rafters and going
through some of the stud walls. Thanks again!

Besides the worn drill bits, you are weakening the structure.

No, you are NOT weakening the structure as the center of the joist is
neither in compression nor tension - and if it was a web with holes
cut all along the center it would still have something like 95% of
it's strength. If you
think you will install sheetrock or something on the ceiling in the
future, then run the wire in conduit on TOP of the rafters.

On top of the rafters is not allowed because you MIGHT put something
up there.
The
conduit cost wont be much more than the cost of the drill bits, and be
much easier to do, and wont weaken the building. For wall outlets,
drill thru the top plate of the wall, and just use romex there.
Actually I wanted to install romex on top of my garage joists, because
I planned to sheetrock the ceiling, but it was against the code (which
I personally think is a stupid rule), but I followed the code and ran
one conduit across the ceiling (top of rafters), then put a box
whereever I wanted to tap off for a light or wall outlet and those
were nailed to the side of the rafters. I put the conduit near the
wall on top of those rafters. That way, if I want to put some walk
boards up there in the future, the highest part of the roof dont have
a conduit in the way.

LM