Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running Electrical wire in shed

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 02:08:40 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:05:47 GMT, Wayne Whitney

On 2009-01-21, Harry K wrote:

No, a "dwelling" is a building with a "dwelling unit", so your
attached garage is still part of a dwelling.

I suspect you are misreading the code.

Take a look at it yourself in the previous posts.

I have seen new construction recently where it is romex in the
basement ceiling with no covering.

This is the basement of a house? Once the building has a "dwelling
unit", the whole building is a "dwelling", so there is no blanket
requirement for a 15-minute finish. For residential property, the
requirement for a 15-minute finish is only for detached buildings such
as sheds, garages, etc.

That all assumes your AHJ doesn't consider an accessory building to a
dwelling as part of the dwelling. (AKA "residential")
When you don't it brings up all sorts of zoning and other code issues.

In most counties in Florida you will have to get a limited
development order to build a shed that is not part of a dwelling.

I guess the good news is you won't need AFCIs or GFCIs because the
"accessory building" is not part of a "dwelling" 210.8(A)(2) ;-)

"dwelling" - not commercial, industrial, agricultural or
institutional.
So as long as the garage/shed is not for "commercial" use, or
"agricultural" use, the romex can be exposed, but not surface mounted
without protection..