Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Beeswax ?

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 21 Jan, 12:00, Stephen Howard wrote:

You'll get better and quicker results with a professionally made
polish, such as those sold by Liberon or Renaissance.

I'd agree with the recommendation to use these (esp. Liberon) for
initial finishing work on new cabinetry. I still prefer beeswax for
maintenance and cleaning use, particularly as most of my high-end work
is repro in oak.

Renaissance (read Wikipedia) is an oddity though, as it is a different
wax and not just a different solvent. I know there are people who
swear by it on wood, but I can't say I've ever seen the point. Best
thing for metals though.

These polishes tend to be thinner ( they use better solvents and have
additives that keep the mixture stable )

For Briwax, there's also the issue that UK-spec wax uses toluene,
whilst US-spec wax doesn't and isn't thought to be such a good wax.

Interesting that all the hard natural waxes are virtually insoluble, but
can be finely dispersed in the softer waxes. With toluene polish the
whole thing goes off so quickly that the hard particles remain small
enough to be hand-buffable but, in slower solvents, they form larger
clumps that have no shine.