Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpr jtpr is offline

Default Is this a Safe Table Saw Operation?

On Jan 20, 5:21*pm, wrote:
In a word, no.
Make a crosscut sled for this type of cut - you'll like it. It's
stable, and easier to measure and control.

In general, any cut where the length of the stock is less than the
length of the blade is asking for trouble.

shelly

I would agree with this. The sled is the way to go and you will
always have it. My read on what the OP said tells me he is using one
of those push sticks with the little notch on the end, which is fine
for this with the guard in place. But if it isn't then he should have
a shoe type of push device.

Take this advice from somebody that did cut the end of his finger off,
the day I did it the did not feel safe doing what I was doing, but
could not find an intellectual reason that anything would go wrong, so
I did it. Things happened so fast after that I still can't believe
it. Doing what you described just brought back that same feeling, I
even went out to the table saw (uplugged) and simulated it. There is
no way I would put my hand into that situation. Make the sled, it
will be one of the most used tools in your shop.

-Jim