Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default Wandering Tracking on Old Beta VCR

On 20 ene, 16:34, Bruce Esquibel wrote:

I have to admit I'm sort of stumped. Looking at completed auctions on ebay
most Sony models, even those with the hi-fi audio don't seem to fetch more
than $75-$100 for most of the mid-level machines.

Why the Sanyo's seem to be getting more is an oddity.

Simple. the sanyos unlaced the tape from the head during rewind, which
helped save on wear. they were lighter and are as such easier to mail
than sony. They are easy to access mechanically.
Sony , as Roy says, were expensive and awkward to service , bulkier,
and suffer from head wear (I have had at least 6 c-30 betas pass
through my hands with useless heads, not one single sanyo with this
problem ever). Same goes for the unusually complicated cassette front
generally a worse used buy. (and I have a C9 and 3 HF-100s!)

-B