Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Is this a Safe Table Saw Operation?

"Keith nuttle" wrote in message

A beginner,
When you cut plywood you should only use the fence when the width against
the fence is greater the the length being cut. Does this not depend on
the actual measurements? ie
5" X 3" ( 3" on the fence cut 5" ) would be unsafe?
5' X 3' ( 3' on the fence cut 5') would be unsafe?

I think you are on track if I read you correctly. Basically, think which
orientation the stock is in and how the blade would have more leverage to
pull the edge against the fence away from the fence. If that happens
kick back is almost inevitable. The smaller the piece the greater the
risk.