Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Is this a Safe Table Saw Operation?

Chris Friesen wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

I don't know what the hard and fast rules are for clearance/distance of
hands away from a cutter.

But I know that a lot of it has to do with your body's reaction time,
for when a slip or kickback occurs which may push or pull your body or
body parts a certain direction.

In the scenario described I'd use my hand (4" is lots of clearance), but
I'd hang a few fingers over the fence to make it harder for my hand to
be pulled towards the blade.

Combined with the guard, I'd do this cut carefully but I wouldn't feel
particularly unsafe.

Chris

Sounds reasonable.
I wasn't necessarily replying to you, but the general concept.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--