Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Is this a Safe Table Saw Operation?

On Jan 20, 3:07*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

On Jan 20, 1:18 pm, "Leon" wrote:

Ripping a narrow board and cutting to length a short piece of wood are two
different matters. ...

Both of these are ripping operations. *The 5" length is plenty long
enough for bearing against the fence imo.

I'd concur w/ the opinion of "if you're not comfortable, do something
else" but this certainly isn't in the high-risk category.

5" is way too short to safely rip if the board is 5" wide.

Nope....

Somewhere over that I'd start thinking about it, but w/ that much
bearing surface for the fence on ply I got's no problem w/ only an
inch or so cutoff...just where I'd balk I'd have to have a piece in
hand to see; I can't really say otomh what seems completely wrong.
2-3 ft, sure. Under 1, I'm not so sure...I'm sure a piece of roughly
that size I'll have done quite a number times in 40 years but can't
place a specific piece...

Again, my $0.02 is "what floats yore bote...if you're uncomfortable,
do some other way..."