Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] LEGEND65@yahoo.com is offline

Default Is this a Safe Table Saw Operation?

On Jan 20, 4:15 pm, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

Reread your first sentence.

Reread my second sentence.

I was answering your question/puzzled comment, not looking for an answer.

No, you were being a smartass, and I responded by being a smartass
too.

But a short piece isn't by definition unsafe to run through the saw.
People make it less safe by using a push stick and give up a lot of
the control they would have had with their hands. A 5"x5" piece is no
problem to keep tight to the fence. In this case we are talking about
a piece of plywood, so it's not going to warp and pinch the blade.

Ok, you are missing the point, I think, Length is not so much a problem
until the width begins to "approach" the same measurment as the length.
This increases the likely hood of the piece being able to spin/go in a
different direction other than perfectly parallel to the fence.

By your rule it's unsafe to rip a 20x20 piece of ply to 19x20, which
is nonsense. Length has something to do with it. At some point it's
long enough to not make much difference, until it's big enough that
the fence not being long enough and being too awkward to maneuver
takes over. At some point it's too short to not be safe regardless.
I totally agree with the instinct of the OP to say this is in my gray
area, stop and ask questions.

How long have you been using a TS????

Never fails. Keep on doing what works for you. Don't assume I'm an
idiot because I do it in a way outside your experience.

-Kevin