Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is this a Safe Table Saw Operation?

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:07:26 -0800 (PST), Kent
wrote:

I would like to know if what I am doing on a table saw is safe. I have
ripped a board to 4" in width. I then have a piece of 3/4" plywood
that is approximately 5" X 5" and I would like to cut this to 4" wide
to exactly match (in width) the first piece I ripped. I am sliding
the 5" X 5" plywood through by hand holding it tight to the fence.
Pushing it through with a push stick does not "feel" safe to me. There
is plenty of clearance for my fingers when I slide it through.
However, since the board is only 5" across, it also does not feel safe
to me to have the plywood fully behind the blade with nothing on eiter
side as I am sliding it through. Miter saw would liekly be safer,
however, I am trying to exactly match the first board I ripped.

Is what I am doing safe or not?

No. A square that small might turn and that may result in a nasty
kickback. You don't ever want a small piece of wood wedged between
the blade and the fence.