Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Is this a Safe Table Saw Operation?

"Leon" wrote in message

"MikeWhy" wrote in message

If it's safe to do so, there is reason to prefer to use the setup that's
already dialed in and locked on the saw. There is a point where it's too
skinny, too short, or the unguided cutoff is too long. 5"x4" with a 1"
cutoff doesn't ring my alarm bells. Somewhere in between is the realm of
self-fulfulling prophecies. It won't bind if it's well controlled and
held firmly to the fence. If it doesn't bind, it won't kink into the
blade and kickback. If you can control it well enough with a pushstick,
use the pushstick. I think you'll agree that the hand has better grip,
feedback, and control than the stick. If that weren't the case, we would
all use a pusher even on 30" or wider rips.

You are assuming that if all goes well/ "if it's well controlled and held
firmly in place".

You can take it for granted I make that assumption on every operation.
Otherwise, I would do it some other way.

Accidents typically happen when all does not go well. Work around a TS
long enough and you will eventually realize that all does not go well 100%
of the time. I'll be the first to say that I have used the fence for
stock that is close to square and often when cutting cabinet panels I use
the fence to cut to length panels where the fence setting is greater than
the length of the cut. Is that safe???? "NO"!!!. I do however know what
can happen if my hand slips, or if I don't keep the panel tightly planted
against the fence, keep a large portion of my body weight on top of the
panel, use stock that bows away from the fence, etc and I am prepared for
the consequences should the panel bind.

No amount of preparation can prevent every accident. Taking chances
increases the odds of having an accident.

I'll agree with the platitude, but I don't see what's so magic about square.
Is ripping 2" from a 10x10" square any better or worse?