Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Is this a Safe Table Saw Operation?

"MikeWhy" wrote in message

If it's safe to do so, there is reason to prefer to use the setup that's
already dialed in and locked on the saw. There is a point where it's too
skinny, too short, or the unguided cutoff is too long. 5"x4" with a 1"
cutoff doesn't ring my alarm bells. Somewhere in between is the realm of
self-fulfulling prophecies. It won't bind if it's well controlled and held
firmly to the fence. If it doesn't bind, it won't kink into the blade and
kickback. If you can control it well enough with a pushstick, use the
pushstick. I think you'll agree that the hand has better grip, feedback,
and control than the stick. If that weren't the case, we would all use a
pusher even on 30" or wider rips.

You are assuming that if all goes well/ "if it's well controlled and held
firmly in place". Accidents typically happen when all does not go well.
Work around a TS long enough and you will eventually realize that all does
not go well 100% of the time. I'll be the first to say that I have used the
fence for stock that is close to square and often when cutting cabinet
panels I use the fence to cut to length panels where the fence setting is
greater than the length of the cut. Is that safe???? "NO"!!!. I do
however know what can happen if my hand slips, or if I don't keep the panel
tightly planted against the fence, keep a large portion of my body weight
on top of the panel, use stock that bows away from the fence, etc and I am
prepared for the consequences should the panel bind.

No amount of preparation can prevent every accident. Taking chances
increases the odds of having an accident.