Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Running Electrical wire in shed

On Jan 20, 8:35*am, RedDwarf wrote:
On Jan 20, 11:25*am, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 06:54:05 -0800 (PST), RedDwarf
wrote:

I built this shed in the backyard, it has a dedicated 20amp GFCI
circuit running to it. Once inside the shed (it comes in from the
floor) I have it hit a junction box and branch out to the various
spots i need it (outlets/lights etc.).

My question is, do I HAVE to run the wire through the studs (drilling
a lot of holes because studs are 16 on center)? or can I run it on the
surface of the wood, near the top sill? what are my options? I have a
work bench, am I allowed to run it under the work surface, and staple
it to the underside? any thoughts as to how I can avoid drilling a
bunch of holes?

I live in norfolk, va...

You dont need to drill if you are leaving the rafters exposed. *Just
staple it to the bottom of the rafters. *If you're going from joist to
joist (across the joists), code requires solid wood under the wire, so
just nail a 1x4 under the rafters and staple it to that, which might
be a good place to put lights too.

LM

I built a shed in a far more moderate climate than VA, and after a
couple of years of suffering I put in insulation and drywall. OP might
consider whether the shed will be comfortable enough to use more than a
month or two out of the year. DIRTFT.

thanks everyone. I wouldn't mind drilling - the problem is when I
drill, i'm going through a spade bit like every 2 or 3 studs. it's
getting expensive.
I may do a combination of both running it across the rafters and going
through some of the stud walls. Thanks again!

i'm going through a spade bit like every 2 or 3 studs. it's
getting expensive.

I'm surprised that you're only getting 2 or 3 holes per
maybe you need to apply a little more tool pressure and use slightly
slower drill speed.

A 5/8" hole will work also & require a bit less effort to drill.

imo you should be able to do the entire shed with one or two bits at
most.

cheers
Bob