Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Running Electrical wire in shed

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 06:54:05 -0800 (PST), RedDwarf
wrote:

I built this shed in the backyard, it has a dedicated 20amp GFCI
circuit running to it. Once inside the shed (it comes in from the
floor) I have it hit a junction box and branch out to the various
spots i need it (outlets/lights etc.).

My question is, do I HAVE to run the wire through the studs (drilling
a lot of holes because studs are 16 on center)? or can I run it on the
surface of the wood, near the top sill? what are my options? I have a
work bench, am I allowed to run it under the work surface, and staple
it to the underside? any thoughts as to how I can avoid drilling a
bunch of holes?

I live in norfolk, va...

You dont need to drill if you are leaving the rafters exposed. Just
staple it to the bottom of the rafters. If you're going from joist to
joist (across the joists), code requires solid wood under the wire, so
just nail a 1x4 under the rafters and staple it to that, which might
be a good place to put lights too.

LM

I built a shed in a far more moderate climate than VA, and after a
couple of years of suffering I put in insulation and drywall. OP might
consider whether the shed will be comfortable enough to use more than a
month or two out of the year. DIRTFT.