Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Is this a Safe Table Saw Operation?

Is what I am doing safe or not?

There is no such thing as a safe cut on the table saw. This one
doesn't have particularly more risk than any other. If I have room I
will always use my hand, much more control that way. You can easily
have the guard in place and use your hand on this cut, so why people
think this unsafe I have no idea. How did you rip the other piece to
4" wide? I don't understand why you felt that cut was safe but this
one is freaking you out.

-Kevin

I don't know what the hard and fast rules are for clearance/distance of
hands away from a cutter.

But I know that a lot of it has to do with your body's reaction time,
for when a slip or kickback occurs which may push or pull your body or
body parts a certain direction.

Have you ever been watching a baseball game and seen a batter check his
swing and think he didn't "go," only to see the slow motion replay and
realize the bat traveled a much further distance that what appeared to
the naked eye?

There are times when we "think" we have plenty of room for our fingers
to clear, but when there's a slip or kickback, our body parts travel
much further than we think they would, before we have the ability to
check our swing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)