Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default On Topic Sorta - Attending Trade Shows Frugally?

The definition of "press" is kinda vague in my mind. Bloggers could be
press in my book.

Not in theirs, for the most part. Keep in mind their purpose in giving
members of the press free entry: They want publicity coverage to promote
their shows, both before and after. If they think you'll provide that,
they'll give you a pass.

The paradigm of what is effective "press" and what is not has changed. To
be honest, anyone who thinks print media will give their show or business or
whatever more coverage than a long lasting, well woreded blog or internet
post on a web site is probably wrong.

....At least when you look at the "bang per buck" model of evaluating it.
For the price of a 1/8th page ad in some magazines, I can set up a decent
web site dedicated to the product and host it for two years.

When I was working for metalworking magazines I'd write multi-page reports
that were sent to roughly 100,000 subscribers. That's what SME and the
other sponsoring organizations are looking for.

I can understand their reasoning but also see that in most cases, this
reasoning is based on 10-20 year old thinking. Have you seen the
metalworking magazines lately? What used to be 100 pages is sometimes 20.
Dying media for the most part.

I wouldn't lie... I'd simply explain the truth from my perspective.

Well, this isn't a government or legal function. The whole thing is
entirely at their discretion. They don't just hand them out because
someone thinks he deserves to be treated like the working press.

Understood.

As for published articles - at least one that I know of but not in a
relevant field I'm afraid unless they consider non-malicious hacking's
historical viewpoint on-topic to their event... And the magazine was
certainly not industrial in nature at all.

No press pass for you, then. d8-)

That's about what I figured.

CLIP

After all, I also write reviews from time to time for a metalworking
forum that is tied into the very backbone and origins of the internet.
The potential readership is HUGE too.... Rec.Crafts.Metalworking. G

No sale. So solly.

Hey... It's a spin dependent upon the listener not being techical enough to
have a clue what this place is.

Enjoy the shows. Covering them for the press is hard work and it eats up a
lot of shoe leather. We did not particularly look forward to IMTS, because
it meant walking miles and miles ten hours every day for over a week,
listening to people promote their products, conduct interviews at high
speed, and try to shoot publication-quality photos on the run. I used to
carry up to 30 pounds of camera gear. It was a workout.

Ick...Does not sound like fun.

I don't think I'd try to get in as press to be honest. It was more of a
"how do I get that on my resume/business card/list of credentials" thing.
If a show is on my schedule to attend and it's business related, I have no
problem paying the entrance fee - but will avoid it for frugality's sake if
possible. If I happen to be local to a show and I just want to make a lap
around the room, then I feel silly paying all that money just to take a
chance on seeing something useful. The packaging show I mentioned in the OP
is a perfect case. I don't need to know anything about packaging at all.
If I go, it's because I'm local and would be open to being surprised with
something useful.

In any case, don't expect to see me with camera gear or press credentials.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244