Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Gloves?

In article ,
"Lynn" wrote:

"Charlie Jones" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,
Going back to a posting of 14th January about burning fingers and wearing
gloves. I have rarely heard about any more dangerous practice than working
on a lathe with something that could rip your fingers off in the blink of
an eye. Picture the scene when you get a catch, and it happens to all of
us once in a while. Your hand jumps on the rest and the glove just touches
the work, maybe trapping between the rest and the revolving work or a
sharp outside edge hooks the cuff. Hey presto! If you are really lucky the
glove will tear, but more likely a finger or two will be amputated.
Sensible?

Nope. Doesn't work that way.

Let's have a poll to find out how many turners use gloves and ask who has
had a close encounter and learned a valuable lesson.

A properly fitted leather glove poses no particular hazard. If you want
to rail against gloves, I shall consider that the only way the dire
event you specify even might happen would be if the glove in question
had excess material flopping about, which mine do not. It also assumes
that you are applying pressure in such a fashion that you'd stuff your
hand into the work - which also doesn't happen here. I've been at this
for 25 years, and my hand has NEVER jumped over the rest, glove or no
glove. If it did, I might get a finger caught between the work and the
toolrest, and "hey presto!" an amputated or severely abused finger - no
glove required!

I would be delighted to see Mr. Jones turning with no gloves in the shed
I started turning in, where it was often below zero in the quaint
Farenheit system. The spray of frozen shavings form green wood is quite
cooling under those conditions...

My blood still grows cold when I remember:

Dire, but quite unrelated to turning. Anything that cuts wood, cuts
flesh.