Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Gloves?

Hi Everyone,
Going back to a posting of 14th January about burning fingers and wearing
gloves. I have rarely heard about any more dangerous practice than working
on a lathe with something that could rip your fingers off in the blink of an
eye. Picture the scene when you get a catch, and it happens to all of us
once in a while. Your hand jumps on the rest and the glove just touches the
work, maybe trapping between the rest and the revolving work or a sharp
outside edge hooks the cuff. Hey presto! If you are really lucky the glove
will tear, but more likely a finger or two will be amputated. Sensible?
Let's have a poll to find out how many turners use gloves and ask who has
had a close encounter and learned a valuable lesson.
Charlie

Oxon woodturners UK

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:08:40 -0000, "Charlie Jones"
wrote:

Hi Everyone,
Going back to a posting of 14th January about burning fingers and wearing
gloves. I have rarely heard about any more dangerous practice than working
on a lathe with something that could rip your fingers off in the blink of an
eye. Picture the scene when you get a catch, and it happens to all of us
once in a while. Your hand jumps on the rest and the glove just touches the
work, maybe trapping between the rest and the revolving work or a sharp
outside edge hooks the cuff. Hey presto! If you are really lucky the glove
will tear, but more likely a finger or two will be amputated. Sensible?
Let's have a poll to find out how many turners use gloves and ask who has
had a close encounter and learned a valuable lesson.
Charlie

Oxon woodturners UK

I truly believe that gloves and a lathe (and lots of other power
tools) don't go together.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

[...]

For me, gloves and shops don't mesh.

On jobsites, I have used fingerless gloves, though.

Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use gloves occasionally to increase my holding ability on some pieces but
they are they thin surgeons gloves. I would never consider using the regular
type and yes I do wear them when turning.
"Charlie Jones" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,
Going back to a posting of 14th January about burning fingers and wearing
gloves. I have rarely heard about any more dangerous practice than working
on a lathe with something that could rip your fingers off in the blink of
an eye. Picture the scene when you get a catch, and it happens to all of
us once in a while. Your hand jumps on the rest and the glove just touches
the work, maybe trapping between the rest and the revolving work or a
sharp outside edge hooks the cuff. Hey presto! If you are really lucky the
glove will tear, but more likely a finger or two will be amputated.
Sensible?
Let's have a poll to find out how many turners use gloves and ask who has
had a close encounter and learned a valuable lesson.
Charlie

Oxon woodturners UK

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

I often use a fingerless glove, especially when roughing dry wood.
Some of the angles that I need to place my hands in relationship to
the gouge to get the cut will beat my hands (pinky side) to pieces.
It hurts. The only way I know to stop the pain is to ware a glove.

Go to the following website and observe the first photo at the top of
the page. Look closely at the hand that is closest to the tool rest
(David's right hand). He uses it on in his videos and in real life
also (I saw it with my own eyes).

http://www.ellsworthstudios.com/david/schoolwood.html

Ted

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I am not an experienced woodworker or turner. I do tend to wear gloves but
use mechanics gloves that you find at an automotive parts store. These are
thin leather with velcro cuffs.
I use them in woodworking mainly to protect against splinters and to provide
just a bit of cushioning. When turning I wear them to cover my hands and
provide cushioning. I wear them with a turners smock with elastic cuffs.

I recognize the issue of gloves and catches but also recognize other
problems without gloves such as beating up my hands and getting hot shavings
on my hands.
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

on my hands."Charlie Jones" wrote in message

Hi Everyone,
Going back to a posting of 14th January about burning fingers and wearing
gloves. I have rarely heard about any more dangerous practice than working
on a lathe with something that could rip your fingers off in the blink of
an eye. Picture the scene when you get a catch, and it happens to all of
us once in a while. Your hand jumps on the rest and the glove just touches
the work, maybe trapping between the rest and the revolving work or a
sharp outside edge hooks the cuff. Hey presto! If you are really lucky the
glove will tear, but more likely a finger or two will be amputated.
Sensible?
Let's have a poll to find out how many turners use gloves and ask who has
had a close encounter and learned a valuable lesson.
Charlie

Oxon woodturners UK

I use a work glove on my left hand only. Protects my hand from
splinters, hot chips, sharp flute edges. I have to ask how a catch
will pull a glove between the rest and the piece as normally my glove
is behind the tool rest and far enough away so it couldn't happen. I
usually run my index finger along and behind the rest as a guide so
there is always protection. My thumb is on top of the tool but still
behind the rest. Anyone who uses a tool with their fingers placed
between the rest and the wood is asking for trouble, gloves or not.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I once saw a guy get his hand rapped up on a drill press with a glove.He
was one of the most lucky guys i have ever seen ,he only got road rash &
burns. Oh ya ,he was fired for not following shop safety rules.
I once got my T shirt ripped off of my body by a wire wheel on a bench
grinder.I still have the scare from the wheel when it slammed me on the
work bench. I now study what can go wrong before I do anything in the
shop. I've learned to stand off center of the table saw after receiving
a huge kick back from an oak 2x2.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote: (clip) I once got my T shirt ripped off of my body
by a wire wheel on a bench
grinder. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I heard about, but didn't see, a machinist walk past a lathe that had a
piece of round stock protruding through the spindle into the aisle. A burr
caught his shop coat, twisted the fabric and he sent several seconds
rotating and flopping. Must have seemed like an hour.

On a point closely related to gloves, I hope you all know that when you do
power polishing on the lathe, NEVER wrap the rag around your fingers.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Charlie Jones wrote:

Hi Everyone,
Going back to a posting of 14th January about burning fingers and wearing
gloves. I have rarely heard about any more dangerous practice than working
on a lathe with something that could rip your fingers off in the blink of
an eye. Picture the scene when you get a catch, and it happens to all of
us once in a while. Your hand jumps on the rest and the glove just touches
the work, maybe trapping between the rest and the revolving work or a
sharp outside edge hooks the cuff. Hey presto! If you are really lucky the
glove will tear, but more likely a finger or two will be amputated.
Sensible? Let's have a poll to find out how many turners use gloves and
ask who has had a close encounter and learned a valuable lesson.
Charlie

Oxon woodturners UK

Fingerless leather glove on left hand. Left hand stays on the right side of
tool rest Have never had a problem with putting my hand where it should
not be but my head is another thing. Came close on a number of occasions
when I went nearer to look at a piece without turning off the lathe.
Needless to say if I don`t get out of this habit, it`s gonna hurt.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

[...]

My blood still grows cold when I remember:
Was some time ago (about 70 years) when us kids were wondering why
the largest of the local saw mills had the whistle "tied down" and blew
until
there was no more steam. The singing of the three story high band saws
slowed to a stop........ then workers by the dozen came slowly out,
carrying
their lunch buckets, but with their heads hung low.
It seems "Charlie" (not his real name) who lived a couple of doors down
the street from me, had violated company and union rules by fastening the
wrist strap
on his leather work gloves.
He was working on a sled, carrying rough logs through a band saw sawing
the
log into cants (I think they called them?).
"Charlie's" glove caught on the rough log, and "Charlie" rode the log
right
through the saw. Halved, right down the middle. Mill didn't build up steam
until
the following week.
Dad gathered up his gloves with wrist straps, and cut off the straps.

I'm a real greenhorn woodturner, but old enough to be smart. BUT a few
days
ago I touched a rag on a spinning work piece, and in one quick thump it was
tightly
wrapped around the work and jammed against the tool rest. I WAS smart
enough,
however, to shut the lathe off before the drive belt started smoking.

Old Chief Lynn

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Lynn" wrote:

"Charlie Jones" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,
Going back to a posting of 14th January about burning fingers and wearing
gloves. I have rarely heard about any more dangerous practice than working
on a lathe with something that could rip your fingers off in the blink of
an eye. Picture the scene when you get a catch, and it happens to all of
us once in a while. Your hand jumps on the rest and the glove just touches
the work, maybe trapping between the rest and the revolving work or a
sharp outside edge hooks the cuff. Hey presto! If you are really lucky the
glove will tear, but more likely a finger or two will be amputated.
Sensible?

Nope. Doesn't work that way.

Let's have a poll to find out how many turners use gloves and ask who has
had a close encounter and learned a valuable lesson.

A properly fitted leather glove poses no particular hazard. If you want
to rail against gloves, I shall consider that the only way the dire
event you specify even might happen would be if the glove in question
had excess material flopping about, which mine do not. It also assumes
that you are applying pressure in such a fashion that you'd stuff your
hand into the work - which also doesn't happen here. I've been at this
for 25 years, and my hand has NEVER jumped over the rest, glove or no
glove. If it did, I might get a finger caught between the work and the
toolrest, and "hey presto!" an amputated or severely abused finger - no
glove required!

I would be delighted to see Mr. Jones turning with no gloves in the shed
I started turning in, where it was often below zero in the quaint
Farenheit system. The spray of frozen shavings form green wood is quite
cooling under those conditions...

My blood still grows cold when I remember:

Dire, but quite unrelated to turning. Anything that cuts wood, cuts
flesh.

Gloves Steve Lowe UK diy 2 December 14th 06 07:20 PM
Work gloves tip [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 13th 06 12:05 AM
Gloves The Medway Handyman UK diy 19 March 20th 06 11:00 PM
Finishing Gloves Derek Hartzell Woodturning 3 January 10th 06 12:20 AM
If it says "wear gloves" a UK diy 33 September 5th 04 11:30 PM