Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lynn[_3_] Lynn[_3_] is offline

Default Gloves?

"Charlie Jones" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,
Going back to a posting of 14th January about burning fingers and wearing
gloves. I have rarely heard about any more dangerous practice than working
on a lathe with something that could rip your fingers off in the blink of
an eye. Picture the scene when you get a catch, and it happens to all of
us once in a while. Your hand jumps on the rest and the glove just touches
the work, maybe trapping between the rest and the revolving work or a
sharp outside edge hooks the cuff. Hey presto! If you are really lucky the
glove will tear, but more likely a finger or two will be amputated.
Sensible?
Let's have a poll to find out how many turners use gloves and ask who has
had a close encounter and learned a valuable lesson.
Charlie

Oxon woodturners UK

My blood still grows cold when I remember:
Was some time ago (about 70 years) when us kids were wondering why
the largest of the local saw mills had the whistle "tied down" and blew
until
there was no more steam. The singing of the three story high band saws
slowed to a stop........ then workers by the dozen came slowly out,
carrying
their lunch buckets, but with their heads hung low.
It seems "Charlie" (not his real name) who lived a couple of doors down
the street from me, had violated company and union rules by fastening the
wrist strap
on his leather work gloves.
He was working on a sled, carrying rough logs through a band saw sawing
the
log into cants (I think they called them?).
"Charlie's" glove caught on the rough log, and "Charlie" rode the log
right
through the saw. Halved, right down the middle. Mill didn't build up steam
until
the following week.
Dad gathered up his gloves with wrist straps, and cut off the straps.

I'm a real greenhorn woodturner, but old enough to be smart. BUT a few
days
ago I touched a rag on a spinning work piece, and in one quick thump it was
tightly
wrapped around the work and jammed against the tool rest. I WAS smart
enough,
however, to shut the lathe off before the drive belt started smoking.

Old Chief Lynn