Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default On Topic Sorta - Attending Trade Shows Frugally?

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:13:10 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

I'm thinking about going down to either Charlotte, NC for the "South Pack"
packaging event held in March or maybe up to Eastec (MA) in May. Neither
will be full fledged business trips for me but I would certainly check them
out if I'm near there to see if anything met my business needs.

I noticed a few months ago while in Atlanta at a similar show that some
attendees get in free with passes from exhibitors... As much as I generally
dislike these huge events, there are times when I find myself located near
one and will fill a day browsing for the heck of it. I simply don't want to
have to pay for a ticket I may or may not use and because it's not a
business "need" I don't want to pay for it out of my business funds. In
Atlanta, I made some good business contacts and felt no remorse about paying
for the event but at some, it's simply a waste of funds...

Other than me being a cheap-arse, are there any ideas or thoughts out there
for me on this? I'm wondering if any of you ever received these free passes
and how did you get them or get on the list to receive them?

I know there is no legitimate metalworking content here, but the trade shows
are something that a lot of us attend, etc. There, of course is no
"rec.crafts.metalworking.tradeshows" newsgroup either so this is the most
legitimate group I could think of to post to other than maybe harassing the
folks over at alt.machines.cnc. grin

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Hey, Joe:-

Often, in my experience, you can get in free to industry trade shows
if you are legitimately in the trade (or appear to be, as opposed to
students or winos or whatever), and if register online BEFORE the
event. They'll leave the badge for you to pick up or mail it to you.

It's only the ones who show up and try to register on site (without
the pass) that pay admission for the exhibit hall.

The technical sessions are another matter, I think you'd have to have
some kind of 'in' or give a talk to get those for free, if they
normally charge for them. Also a very few trade shows require actual
credentials (eg. membership in some organization) but I have not found
any of them interesting enough to bother with.

For example, you can register online free for the Charlotte show he
https://www.compusystems.com/servlet...id=641&Show=SP

Looks like Eastek is free as well, but I didn't follow the process far
enough to be su
http://www.sme.org/cgi-bin/esc-reg-e...image_source=&

There's absolutely no reason not to do this-- nothing cheap-arse about
not being a sucker. You're going there to be sold to, and to get your
name on a mailing list. Arguably, they should pay you!