Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Mike is offline

Default O/T Haynes Manual: The Truth

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 05:39:00 -0800 (PST), wrote:

What I never understood is why the reasons they were so ruddy useless
were so obvious, yet they never did anything about it, just kept
churning out junk grade manuals. I eventually learnt go buy the mfr's
workshop manual, forget Haynes. More money, yes, but well worth it.

Which are great except that many just contained gems like this:

Use special tool abc123 to remove item xyz - said special tool from
the dealer was over half the purchase price of your (secondhand)
vehicle

Whereas the Haynes manual said "manufacture a puller as below" then
remove xyz

This paragraph was followed a fully dimensioned drawing, photographs
of the puller positioned correctly and in use.

But Haynes manuals went down the nick long ago, the last decent one I
probably used in anger was probably the mid 80's Mini one. By the mid
1990's it got reprinted on recycled partly used toilet paper.

Now,and for the past 20 years you open a Haynes manual and get

"this assembly is not user serviceable, buy a replacement or exchange
unit from your dealer"

"this assembly is not user serviceable, entrust the job to your local
dealer"

And as for now showing the spark plug photos in black and white. What
monochromatic ****wit thought that one up?