Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ed Edelenbos Ed Edelenbos is offline

Default Gloves?

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:08:40 -0000, "Charlie Jones"
wrote:

Hi Everyone,
Going back to a posting of 14th January about burning fingers and wearing
gloves. I have rarely heard about any more dangerous practice than working
on a lathe with something that could rip your fingers off in the blink of
an
eye. Picture the scene when you get a catch, and it happens to all of us
once in a while. Your hand jumps on the rest and the glove just touches
the
work, maybe trapping between the rest and the revolving work or a sharp
outside edge hooks the cuff. Hey presto! If you are really lucky the glove
will tear, but more likely a finger or two will be amputated. Sensible?
Let's have a poll to find out how many turners use gloves and ask who has
had a close encounter and learned a valuable lesson.
Charlie

Oxon woodturners UK

I truly believe that gloves and a lathe (and lots of other power
tools) don't go together.

For me, gloves and shops don't mesh.

On jobsites, I have used fingerless gloves, though.

Ed